How to Choose Your Mover
Prepare for Moving
People generally don't move very often, but when it comes time, its important
that the move is safe, organized and as stress free as possible. To help
you achieve those ends we've designed a list of packing tips based on
our 15 years of experience in the business.
Get rid of unwanted items before you move
- Throw away all unwanted items from the garage, backyard and attic
about 4 weeks ahead of your move.
- Collect unneeded items from storage areas and closets and either donate
them to charity or sell them at a yard sale.
- Dispose of hazardous materials such as paint at hazardous waste sites
Gather packing supplies
- Gather all supplies for your move including boxes, tape, newsprint,
bubble wrap and labels.
- Use dish pack boxes and newsprint for wrapping and packing dishware
and other fragile items. (See our supplies page for more information).
Check your homeowners insurance
- Contact your insurance agent to see if your household items are covered
during your move.
Pack least needed items first
- In each room of your home, pack the least needed items first.
- Set aside valuable or important items such as passports, licenses,
checkbooks, medical records, jewelry and currency and pack all of these
valuables together in one box to keep with you.
Keep packing organized
- After you've packed a box, write the room where it belongs and write
a box number on the box.
- Write the box number in a notebook and list the items that the box
- Mark the box FRAGILE if it contains breakable items.
Exercise caution with fuels
- Empty excess fuel from lawn mowers, propane gas cylinders and other
- Keep empty fuel containers away from, and packed separately from lighters